I had so much fun creating a Mermaid Look for Halloween, I decided to get out my palettes and get to work on some other makeup looks. With the recent release of Suicide Squad and the ever so popular character Harley Quinn, I knew that she would be a very popular costume for the year. As a fan of the comic book, seriously give it read it’s fantastic, I thought I’d give it a go. I wanted to keep this look really simple and easy, so I haven’t applied any colour to my hair and I based this look on Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn. For reference I also used a promotional photo of Margot where the heart tattoo was on the blue side of her face, since then I’ve noticed it on the red side as well so it seems to move about depending on what photo you reference from. I think it’s actually on the red side for the film!
- I applied my current favourite foundation, L’Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Foundation in Rose Ivory all over my face. I then concealed my under-eyes and blemishes with the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Fair. Harley’s skin is super pale so I used some white face paint from the pound shop, which was awful. It’s super pigmented in the tube yet once you try to blend it into you skin it just collects and looks really dry. I highly recommend using the brand new Freedom Makeup London SFX Ghost Whitener which is only £3 and much more pigmented. I swatched one in store and I was very impressed, unfortunately they were out of stock so I have a tube on it’s way in the post!
- I then contoured my cheek bones with the lightest contouring shade in the Kat Von D Shade and Light Face Contour Palette. It’s super pigmented and very good at chiseling out those cheekbones.
- Taking the Makeup Revolution Ultimate Colour Chaos Palette, I blended the shade Wkd over my left eyelid, down into the outer corner and under the eye towards my cheek. I then took the darker blue shade Over-boned, and applied this to my outer corner and down the centre of the ‘block’ of Wkd on my face. I then took a fluffy blending brush and blended this out to soften the look.
- I then repeated this on my right eye with the only red shade of the palette, Tom Tom. To add a dark red, I used the shade Ariel from the Makeup Revolution Mermaids Forever Palette.
- I then lined my waterline with the Makeup Revolution Amazing Eyeliner in Black as well as applying it on my lash line for a smudged out cat eye.
- To create the heart tattoo, I used the Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner in Black. The precise nib of the felt tip makes it super easy to draw!
- I applied my favourite Mascara, Revlon Volume & Length Magnified Mascara, to make my lashes look longer though you could also apply false lashes if you wanted to glam the look up.
- I don’t actually have a true red liquid lipstick as I don’t really suit the colour, so I applied LA Splash Studio Shine Waterproof Matte Lip Lustre in Ariel which has a slightly pinker tone. I then layered Seventeen Lip Lustre in Wild One on the top.
I found this look really simple to create and I feel like it’s really adaptable depending on how you want it to look. Add some lashes, shimmer and highlight if you want to glam the look up, or smudge it up and make it look dirtier as if you’ve been in battle. I really enjoyed being Harley, I didn’t want to remove my makeup afterwards as I feel like it’s so unmistakably her. Which means if you’re looking for a last-minute costume, get out your blue and red eyeshadow and you are good to go.
What do you think of this look? I’d love to know your thoughts in the comments below.
Emily Mae x